Sunday, March 19, 2023

Cheating and checking a bag

I know, I know.  I'm Carry On With a Camera.  I LIVE this lifestyle.  I pack as little as possible and do my laundry in the sink.  But then I flew to Switzerland for nearly two weeks over winter break and needed to pack snow pants, snow boots, layers of winter clothing, extra gloves in case they got wet, and hiking poles.  Hiking poles, even the collapsible ones, aren't allowed in carry on bags.  Since my physical fitness levels took a nose dive this school year, I knew the only way I would be climbing every mountain was with hiking poles.  Since I'm so short and have impossibly small feet, buying clothes or shoes while abroad would be an unnecessary stress, not to mention expense.  So I did something I swore I would never do and I did it for the first time in over two decades - I checked a bag both ways.

After reading horror story after horror story about lost bags, I bought an Apple Airtag.  If I had more time, I would have had it engraved, but time was not on my side.  I was risking nothing more if I was already uncomfortably checking a bag.


Here's what I did to make my journey smoother:

  • Made sure I knew how to use the Find My app and Airtag prior to leaving.
  • Bought an accessory from Apple to my Airtag was linked to the metal in my luggage so it couldn't be cut out or taken out easily.  I use a special hex key to install it.
  • Used a brightly colored and unique luggage.  And take pictures of it in case it goes missing!
  • Used TSA approved luggage locks.
  • Made sure my name, e-mail address, and phone number(s) are clearly written on both the outside and inside of my luggage.  On my luggage tag, you'll have to do a bit of work (take out the paper) to see my contact information because of security.  I don't want my street address visible to all the strangers on public transit or the airport as I'm getting ready to travel.  SAFETY!
  • I regularly checked my luggage for peace of mind.  I was able to do this as well when I left my bags in a luggage locker in a train station or at the hotel as well.
I did have some panic as I saw a sea of luggage come down the conveyor but not mine.  I had to wait around 5 minutes in both Zurich and Chicago for my bag, which is not bad at all.  I was so relieved to be connected with my bag.  Carry on only is the way for me but when required, I can adapt.

Even though my future travels don't have visions of waiting at the luggage carousel again, I do still plan on using the Apple Airtag to make my traveling go smoother.  What are your experiences with this tiny bit of technology?



No comments:

Post a Comment